News & Events

News & Events

Back To Articles

Bereavement Support payment for those affected by loss

When someone dies, there are certain things that have to be done, but this is often at an incredibly difficult time, when we feel least able to manage. Worrying about finances if you have to pay for a loved one’s funeral can make an already difficult time even more distressing.

You might not be aware of the financial help available to support you following a bereavement and in most circumstances, you are not informed about the benefits available, or whether you are eligible to claim them.

Our dedicated private client team have informed clients of the Bereavement Support Payment where appropriate, ensuring they get the help and support they need following a bereavement.

If your partner has died, you might be able to claim Bereavement Support Payment.

When your partner died, you must have been:

  • under State Pension age;
  • living in the UK or a country that pays bereavement benefits;
  • married to your partner, in a civil partnership with them, or living with them as if you were married.

You can claim the Bereavement Support payment even if you weren’t married or in a civil partnership. However, in order to be eligible, you must look after a child who lived with you and your partner and you receive Child Benefit for this child.

Your partner must have either:

  • paid National Insurance contributions for at least 25 weeks in one tax year, or
  • died because of an accident at work, or a disease caused by their work

It doesn’t matter what your income is, if you have any savings or if you’re working, as the benefit is not means-tested.

There are deadlines as to when you can make your claim. To be eligible for the full Bereavement Support payment, you must make your application to the Department for Work and Pensions within three months of your partner’s death.

Bereavement Support Payment is only paid for 18 months after the date your spouse or civil partner died, so it’s important you claim as soon as possible.

There are many ways you can apply for the Bereavement Support payment:

  1. call the Bereavement Service helpline on 0800 151 2012
  2. download a claim form on GOV.UK and apply by post
  3. apply online on GOV.UK (this is a trial service, so it only allows a small number of daily applications)
  4. contact your local Jobcentre Plus to have a form sent to you by post.

Private client solicitor, Charlene Merry, is part of Andrew Jackson’s dedicated private client team. Our experienced and compassionate team recognises the importance of helping you plan ahead. We can guide you through all legal aspects of making a Will, recording your wishes, preparing and registering Lasting Powers of Attorney and organising your affairs before you die.

If you would like further help and advice on this, or for any other personal legal matters, please don’t hesitate to contact our team by calling (01482) 325242 or emailing

Contact Us

Let's keep in touch!

To receive regular updates such as newsletters, legal updates and invitations to upcoming events please fill in your details below.

I agree that Andrew Jackson Solicitors LLP will retain my details on its database, and may sometimes use the details in accordance with its Privacy Notice to send marketing materials to me.

    Type your search term above

    Please enter a search term above and we'll show you any matching pages.

    Call us

    Hull+44 (0)1482 325 242

    York+44 (0)1904 275 250

    Grimsby+44 (0)1472 267 770

    Scarborough+44 (0)1723 882 500

    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Andrew Jackson Solicitors LLP website. However, you can change your cookie preferences at any time through your browser settings. Click here to view our cookies policy.